Tuesday, January 31, 2012

It's our density. Er. Destiny.

The primary conflict and themes in Toy Story are a clash of cultures, in a sense, and of feeling outdated and obsolete. Woody's big question is how does he remain relevant and desired in a changing world?

Well, huh. I don't know, Woody. But you sure do rock that cowboy hat, and your manners are impeccable.

It's no secret that the shiny new raygun in town is SWTOR. I am not buying a PC to play this game. I have one provided to me by my work, and my old Dell has been put out to pasture. I have nothing against PC products. I am not a Mac cultist. It is what it is. I am a consumer with a limited budget. The twinge is there, though, and resentment over the EA big-wigs. Even Anexxia has packed up her bags: http://www.furlinedteacup.com/bibleofdreams/2012/01/gone-fishing.html

I have been playing WoW for just under two years now. I got in on the tail-end of WOTLK, and just started figuring things out and raiding recently, just in time for me to have a hissy fit and leave my casual raiding guild. (And let it be known, like a bad but sexy boyfriend, I do miss them.)

Currently, I have four level 85s: Mataoka, the Shaman (who needs tattoos, by the way); Luperci, Who Is Not A Fail Tank; Zeptepi, Conflicted Angel; and Haanta, Hunter  PVP'er. (Rogue and Fire Mage, 70/65 respectively, coming up through the ranks.)

Not a single one of them has killed the Lich King, Ragnaros, or even Deathwing (LFR doesn't count). (Sorry about switching in third person there -- even I think that is a little odd, and am not sure how to resolve it.)

But this isn't about me, or players who predominately spend their avocational time with other games. This is about those we (players) love to hate: Blizzard employees.

I don't know a lot of Blizzard employees personally, but I do know [sic]. And I know game designers for other products. They are some of the hardest working people I know. They work endlessly, leaving behind family vacations, time and time again, often sleeping in their offices, eating bad junk food, not getting enough sleep or exercise. If I gleaned one thing, one important thing from Blizzcon, (other than tall Scottish men can rock a cosplay Draenei female), is that these employees do care, and are trying to make us happy. (Whether or not they should, or can, well, I'll leave that to you to judge.)

Have it on record, I do not work for Blizzard. I wish I did. I think Tome and I could be a force of nature when it comes to creativity, ideas, and desires of their changing demographic; but, is it really changing, and if so, for the better?

Young padawan druid tells me there are three types of players now; I won't use his exact wording because it's fairly chocked with the arrogance of youth. They are not flattering portrayals. But he agrees with me that one thing Azeroth has gotten right is a chance to create the kind of game a player wants within the confines of the fatigue map.

Perhaps it was and is inevitable, that players will seek new adventures, to boldly go, wait...sorry. You know what I mean. When Buzz Lightyear hits the birthday party, of course a few green army men are going to be lost in the scuffle, and a slinky dog or two bent out of shape.

But to me, I see Woody and Buzz working it out. All I ask is that players don't trash Blizzard on the way to the next galaxy, or the players who prefer hauberks and pauldrons to Tang and Velcro. It's not Blizz's fault I'm feeling kind of left kind of holding the proverbial embersilk bag: there are still plenty of things to do, adventures to be had, and sites to behold. If a noob like me can figure most of it, there is hope for the newer players, too, right?*

"So You Want to be a Game Designer?" TechNews World


*Senor and Guarf: remember that green-horned goat-girl with tail perpetually in trouble? She wouldn't trade your friendship for all the honeymint tea in Northrend.

Theme Song: Sympathy for the Devil/The Rolling Stones


And of course:

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1.2.12

    As usual you've given me an idea! I've been bemoaning my inability to find time to play SWTOR which I want to do yet Azeroth still comes first.

    I've been playing since 2006 and I'm not done yet.

    I think Blizzard does an incredible job and I do think they care. They are always adding/changing aspects of the game. Some changes don't go over well, some do, but they're always trying.

    I would assume people that play like me are a minority and yet there's still plenty for me to do.

    I think I've finally figured out what my Azeroth anti-fatigue armor is!

    Here goes, no contacts in, I'm going to come back later and cringe!

    TotA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may be a minority, but we are a creative one, in my opinion! Can't wait to see what you come up with, Tome! I'm still toying with an RP server, doing something like Psynister (but I don't want to associate a character death with a charity for children: perhaps that's just me--I'm thinking a $5 donation for every level I get without a death from one to the other?), doing a B&B Travel Guide, things like that. Not sure. Pets, mounts, transmog, and yes, even old raids and trying new ones with forgiving friends. We know the human race generally likes to complain, and some are valid critiques. It's the expectation of perfection that is unrealistic and irksome, real world and out. Have a great day, Tome, and as always, I love your comments!

      Delete
  2. I suppose it is possible those of us who still feel WoW holds too much to accomplish in our limited game time are the minority. I know I have friends who only log on to raid and friends who bemoan that they are bored and there is nothing to do.

    On the other hand, I tend to be very easily amused. (Can we say crayon dry erase board?) I have spent entire evenings flying around and taking screenshots or putting together outfits or surfing the AH for something to catch my fancy. I still enjoy leveling, and there are so many gorgeous zones I love to visit.

    I think people just want to be heard and evoke a reaction, and that is exactly why I tend to avoid trolls. About the only place I get caught up in them is in PvP, because I am already self-conscious about my performance there. :P

    Blizzard does an incredible amount to try and keep their player-base happy and having fun, but there is just no way to please everyone. Do something for the raiders and the casuals will complain, and visa versa.

    But overall, I agree - do what you enjoy! but if *I* am doing something that *you* do not enjoy, that does not give you the right to criticize me.

    Great post! And thanks for the link! :)

    ~ Effy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Effy - I love your blog, and appreciate your comment!

      Delete
  3. Matty I swear you post more than I do. I can't keep up. I come back thinking, Ok I'm going to go comment on that post that I couldn't seem to comment on my phone and I find a billion posts since! BTW, I also think that Blizzard cares. I know I write about raiding a lot but I love all the other stuff in WoW. In fact I have to go write about that funny thing that happened to me just the other day.. BRB!

    Oh before I go, I like your idea of funny search terms. I'm going to blantantly copy it and put one on my blog too. And I wish I wrote like JRR Tolkein. I write like a Canadian blogger, whose name I forgot already :( bad me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Navi, after reading the amount of sheer high energy in your comment, all I can say is I <3 you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!